The GOWDY Family
Harry Ellsworth Goudy Jr.
- submitted by Therese Marie Goudy
Harry Ellsworth Goudy, Jr. was born December 1909, married to a Edna Nina. Harry has a brother Clarence Goudy and sisters Carrie Goudy and Mabel Goudy. Harry (Hank) Goudy had the following children;William R. Goudy (born 1952), Glen R. Goudy and Nina June Goudy. Harry Goudy also had 2 other 1/2 sisters from a previous marriage. William was raised in Camp Hill and Summerdale, PA. Harry Goudy, Jr. had an accident in 1978 and passed away a few years ago.
William R. Goudy and Terese Marie Goudy have two daughters, Jennifer and Elizabeth.
The Goudy Family in Pennsylvania
- submitted by Tom and Jim Goldrup
The Goudys came from Ireland to Pennsylvania as part of the Scotch-Irish immigration in the early 1700's. There is a William Goudy listed in the tax rolls of Chester County, Pennsylvania in 1724, 1725 and 1726 in Marple Township. It is possible that he is the father of our Goudy family.
WILLIAM GOUDY MAY BE THE FATHER OF:
1) William Goudy, a resident of Londonderry, Chester County, Pennsylvania by 1736. He married by that year to Susanna Boyd, probably sister of Moses Boyd. William first appears in the records of York County, Pennsylvania when he is called to be a constable in Cumberland Township in 1749 and 1750. In 1750 and 1751 he was appointed to serve on the Grand Jury. Outside of further tax lists we last find William in the York County records as a signer of a road petition in 1758. William died in Cumberland Township, York County before June 6, 1769 when his estate was appraised. Susanna died sometime later. Their children were William Goudy who married Mary Breckinridge and died by January 1812 in Washington County, Pennsylvania; John Goudy who died 1807 in Greene County, Ohio; and Agnes, who married William Kelsay and died in Washington County, Tennessee.
2) John Goudy, a resident of New Caln Township, Chester County, Pennsylvania where he appeared on the tax rolls in 1739 and 1749. John married Agnes (surname not known). They resided in Franklin, Chester County, Pennsylvania at the time John wrote his will on August 17, 1796. By the time his will was recorded on April 16, 1800, however, the portion of that county he had lived in had become part of the newly formed Adams County. It appears they had no children as John does not list any in his will. He does, however, name his sister and various nephews and neices that documents this family unit.
3) ELIZABETH GOUDY, who married a Mr. Anderson and resided in Rockbridge County, Virginia by 1780. She again moved (probably being widowed by the time) to Greene County, Tennessee, where she died before December 24, 1800 (the date her will was recorded). She mentioned her brother John Goudy of Pennsylvania. (see Anderson family).
4) a daughter, married Mr. Vogan. She apparently died before August 17, 1796, as only her children (Elizabeth and Mary Vogan) are included in her brother John's will.
Charles Gowdy - submitted by Charles
Charles Gowdy married Alice Ash and had a son Charles Gowdy, born December 13, 1895 in Philadelphia, PA. Charles married and had a son Charles Clifford Gowdy, born January 28, 1927 in Atlantic City, New Jersey. Charles Clifford Gowdy married a woman with the maiden name of Schubert (born May 30, 1931, Sunbury, PA) November 17, 1951 and had a son Charles William Gowdy. Charles William Gowdy married and had the following children: Christa D. Gowdy and Charles T. Gowdy.
John J. Goudy - submitted by Russell
Conwell Goudy, Jr.
J. J. was born in Ireland and his wife was born in Scotland. Everyone else was born in the US.
John J. Goudy (23 Aug 1848 - 11 Jun 1934) & Emma? Robertson? (10 Jun 1853 - 8 May 1920)
John Nelson Goudy (19 Sep 1889 - 3 Apr 1945) & Marian Lyne (1 Apr 1896 - 9 Oct 1965)
Russell Conwell Goudy* (11 Jul 1930 - ) & Rebecca Shallcross Scull (21 Jul 1936 - )
Russell Conwell Goudy Jr. (23 Jun 1961 - ) & Mary Hope McNelis (4 Oct 1961 - )
Finola Dorothea McNelis Goudy (21 Feb 1996 - )
Cecily Goudy (15 Jul 1997 - 15 Jul 1997)
Noelle Scull Mcnelis Goudy (4 Dec 1999 - )
Rowan John Goudy (14 Jun 2000 - )
Robert Scull Goudy (2 Jan 1965 - )
Keith Lyne Goudy (10 Oct 1968 - ) & Shelby Hoult (13 Aug 1971 - )
Russell Conwell Goudy* (11 Jul 1930 - ) & Jane Watkins
Robin Goudy & Shore
John Nelson Goudy Jr. (6 Sep 1924 - 18 May 1971) & Dorothy Jean Krause (7 Mar 1924 - )
David Bruce Goudy (16 Jun 1949 - )
Susan Jean Goudy (15 Aug 1950 - )
John Nelson Goudy III (2 Oct 1952 - )
Jeffrey Charles Goudy (29 Mar 1957 - )
Deborah J. Goudy (12 May 1959 - ) & Phillip Giunta
Margaret Goudy (10 Jun 1873 - )
Charles Goudy (19 Jul 1876 - )
Reba Hanley Goudy ( - ) & William H. MacWalters Sr. (1876 - 25 Sep 1939)
Ida MacWalters (1905 - 26 Oct 1934) & George Ludwigsen
George Ludwigsen Jr.
Dorothy Maguire MacWalters (13 Aug 1906 - 8 Oct 1987) & William Hess
Lyne Jr. (11 May 1906 - 3 Jan 1988)
William H. MacWalters Jr. ( - ) & Dorothy
Minnie A. Goudy (22 Mar 1881 - 3 Apr 1945) & William A. Kilian ( - 7 Jun 1938)
Annie Goudy (5 Feb 1883 - ) & Brown
Buddie Brown (7 Sep 1914 - )
Grace Goudy (1885 - )
Ella D. Goudy (14 Jul 1886 - ) & Harry T. Fleischman (1886 - 12 Jan 1944)
Russell Conwell Goudy (23 Mar 1892 - )
A little family history.
The Goudys all went to the Baptist Temple in Philadelphia at the turn of the century. Russell Conwell was the well-known minister there who wanted to found a college. He traveled the country giving a motivational speech called "Acres of Diamonds" which raised enough money to start his school which is now called Temple University. This speech taught that anyone could find riches in their own backyard. Taking this advice to heart, Minnie Goudy Kilian and her husband William A. Kilian started the William A. Kilian Hardware Company, which is now managed by their great nephew, Russell Conwell Goudy Jr.
Hotlinks | Guestbook | Home| Coat
Of Arms | Discussion Board