The GOWDY Family
Arch Evander Gowdy
(Submitted by Kenneth King Gowdy) Arch Evander Gowdy (aka: Archie) was born April 19, 1874 in Blue Mountain, Tippah, MS and died January 29, 1952 in Blue Mountain. He married Sarah Francis Godwin (aka: Sallie) April 18, 1897 in Blue Mountain, daughter of Samuel Godwin and Francis Dugger. She was born December 27, 1876 in Tippah County, and died June 24 (6/18 on tombstone) 1918 in Blue Mountain. They had seven children, all born in Blue Mountain:
1. Herbert Evander Gowdy; b. February 27,
1898: d. August 6, 1982, Memphis, Shelby, TN
2. Elwood Gowdy (aka-Mark?); b. Abt. 1900; died in infancy.
3. Irene Gowdy; (aka-Kate?); b. Abt. 1902; died in infancy.
4. Fred Gowdy; b. May 22, 1904; d. January 1, 1935, Memphis, Shelby, TN
5. Arch Evander Gowdy, Jr. (aka: A.E.); b. November 30, 1906; d. January 22, 1948.
6. Leon Gowdy (aka: Bill?); b. Abt. November 1908; d. unknown
7. Sam Godwin Gowdy (aka: Mutt); b. October 18, 1916; d. January 17, 1986 Lake Worth, Tarrant, TX
More About Arch Evander Gowdy
Burial: January 30, 1952, Blue Mountain Cemetery, Tippah County, MS
Cause of Death: Coronary Occlusion
Namesake: Archie Evander Clark (husband of an older sister of Sallie) - killed in Civil War
Occupation: Carpenter (listed on 1910 census and death certificate)
More About Sarah Godwin
Burial: June 25, 1918, Blue Mountain Cemetery, Tippah County, MS
Census: 1910, Mother of 6 children, 4 living
Cause of Death: Pellagra
Occupation: Housewife (listed on 1910 census and death certificate)
About three years after Sallie's death, Arch married a widow, Peytie Chambers Hagy, January 21, 1921 in Blue Mountain, daughter of Samuel Chambers and Nancy Atkins. She died May 1962 in Tippah County. Arch and Peytie had one child, James E. Gowdy, b. April 13, 1922, Blue Mountain; d. January 28, 1998, Charlotte, NC.
Hotlinks | Guestbook | Home| Coat
Of Arms | Discussion Board